The Joint Masters in Economics (JME) is uniquely designed for academically motivated students with a Bachelor's degree who would like to obtain a PhD in Economics and pursue careers in the global academic sector or international organizations.
The two-year program is taught in English and is run jointly by CERGE-EI and the Institute of Economics Studies (IES) at the Faculty of Social Sciences of Charles University, Prague. It combines Master-level courses at IES with PhD-level courses at CERGE-EI, such that by completing the program a student:
- obtains the Master's degree in Economics from IES
- completes the 1st year of PhD coursework, takes General exams at CERGE-EI, and may proceed to the 2nd year of the PhD program at CERGE-EI
JME students are enrolled in the two-year Master's program “Economic Theory” at IES. They have an opportunity to take 1st-year PhD courses at CERGE-EI instead of corresponding courses at IES and receive credit for them. For example, JME students can take the PhD course "Microeconomics I" at CERGE-EI which would be recognized as passing the equivalent Master-level Microeconomics course at IES.
Joint Masters Benefits
- High-quality and challenging PhD-level Economics courses.
- All courses are taught in English. In addition, the Academic Skills Center at CERGE-EI helps JME student develop Economics-specific language and academic skills.
- The program has no tuition fee.
- Fellowships are available to cover living expenses.
- Upon graduation, JME students earn a Master's Degree in Economic Theory at IES and complete the 1st year of the CERGE-EI PhD program.
- The program facilitates a smooth transition to the PhD program at CERGE-EI.
- Option to revert to the Economic Theory Master's program at IES at no cost, in case of not passing either the PhD-level courses or the General exams at CERGE-EI.
- Simplified admission procedure for Bachelor's degree holders from IES.