"CERGE-EI has had a transformative effect on teaching and learning about economics. If we had another five such organizations in equally key parts of the world, the prospects for global economics theory, empirics and policy would be greatly enhanced."
Simon Johnson, Professor, MIT; Former Director of Research, IMF
CERGE-EI's mission is to contribute to progress and stability in the region through its efforts to:
- Educate economists in modern economic theory and applications to serve academia, government and industry in a region where such skills are critically lacking.
- Create an intellectual environment that emphasizes Western ideals of free and open inquiry and nondiscrimination in a region where such concepts were repressed for decades.
- Integrate top economists from around the world in common research and educational endeavors, enabling all traditions to learn from one another.
- Serve as a model and resource for reform of economic education and scholarship in the post-communist transition economies.
- Understand basic economic phenomena by applying rigorous analytical methods to theoretical, applied and policy-related fields, especially with respect to transition and development issues.
- Inform public debate by disseminating policy-relevant research findings through seminars, symposia, conferences, and publications.
- Provide a physical environment including state-of the art technical resources to promote inquiry into all areas of economics.